Paul wrote:

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:08, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

It is because Mozilla uses a kind of Mbox format where all mails are in
one big file. When you delete a message, it is somehow marked as
deleted. Compacting the folder will reorganise (copy and rewrite) the
file and physically remove the deleted mail(s) from it.

Is there a utility that changes from this Mbox to other non-Mbox?

I know there are several tools that can convert true Mbox to other type files. Search google for 'convert mbox' and you should be able to find something you can use. I am not sure if Mozilla uses true Mbox, but the way to find out is to give it a try!

Paul

A preliminary search comes up with http://heanet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/hypermail/hypermail-2.1.6.tar.gz
but this seems to be something to convert mbox to html

Then there are some scripts that require python to convert mbox to Maildir format whatever that is.

Don't know id any of these are what is looked for ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]