Could somebody please point me to some documentation for setting up procmail to
filter E-mail?  The man pages aren't very helpful to someone completely new to
filtering with procmail, and I've been following the Procmail Quickstart guide
at http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/ but unfortunately the line it
said to put in my .forward file failed me.

I set up my .procmailrc and .forward files as directed by the aforementioned
quickstart guide.  I then tried sending myself a test mail from Pine, and then
ran fetchmail (which is properly set up) to try receiving the mail.

The test mail, after being retrieved (and deleted from the server), was nowhere
to be found on my hard drive.  Then I retrieved my mail with XFMail and
received a mail with the subject "Returned mail: Service unavailable" which had
this in the body:

The original message was received at Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:52:47 -0400
from localhost [127.0.0.1]

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #hawk3"
    (expanded from: <hawk3@localhost>)

sh: cannot use & in command
554 "|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #hawk3"... Service
unavailable

I assume from that message that there is something wrong with the
.forward file which contains this line:

"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #hawk3"

This is exactly what the Quickstart guide said to use, except that I changed
the path to correctly point to where Mandrake installs procmail, and I used my
user ID instead of the example's, of course.

If there is just a small adjustment I should be making to the .forward file,
can someone tell me what it is?  On the other hand, if there is other
documentation that could give me more useable information on setting up mail
filters with procmail, could somebody point me to it?

Thanks for any help.

-Tom