Hi,

I'm guessing I'm probably missing something obvious and basic here, but
just right now I can't seem to find it. Not looking in the right nelp
file or man page, I guess. I did google on "install" and "install
problems" and such, came across a couple of pages but nothing that
actually explain what to do when it doesn't work.

I'm trying to install a program to do some basic diagrams of PA systems
etc - it's called dia-0.91. The instructions say:

INSTALL:
========
install it by doing:

 make install
========

but all I get when I try that is:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dia-0.91]#  make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] dia-0.91]#

I thought it might be some kind of permissions problem, but I entered SU
and the root password and tried again with the same result.

I'm beginning to think there's something basic broken on my system - the
simplest little things don't seem to work for me - things you guys seem
to take for granted. like:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] dia-0.91]# whereami
bash: whereami: command not found
[EMAIL PROTECTED] dia-0.91]#

and there's a bunch of others too, I just can't think of them atm.

btw when you download something and then [try to] install it, where are
you supposed to install it to?

TIA

--
Merlin Zener