On Thu, 2003-10-09 at 08:52, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> Setting up SAMBA to transfer files from a Windows 2000 laptop to my
> Mandrake box.  SAMBA is running and in smb.conf I've made an entry for a
> [temp] directory (/tmp), writeable and guest ok = yes.  To test the
> connection to this shared folder on my Mandrake box, I run 'smbclient
> //localhost/temp.
>
> The interface is added ok, I hit 'Enter' for the password prompt, and
> then I get the following output:
>
> Anonymous login successful
> Domain=[MDKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.2.8a]
> tree connect failed: NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME
>
> What did I not do that would be causing this error?  My Win2000 laptop
> sees the Mdkgroup domain, but cannot see the temp folder below it.
>
> Thanks.

This is undoubtedly the wrong way to do it, but it's easy and works
every time.  If you are happy to have no security on this at all, set
guest only access and make the guest account root (presumably this is
the owner of /tmp).  Also set samba to use share level access instead of
user level.

This makes it wide open to any client machine on your LAN, but that
seems to be what you want anyway.

HTH
Brian