On Friday 10 October 2003 05:35 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> On Friday 10 October 2003 01:04 pm, Erylon Hines wrote:

> > It appears that this /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
> > will do the trick, but I may be missing something to make this Mandrake
> > specific  (the how-to's seem to be written for other distros that place
> > the configuration files in /home/~/.spamassassin, which I don't
> > have--should I?:
>
> You should and probably do.  However the files are in ~/.spamassassin, the
> "~" character refers to the user's home directory, which is usually
> /home/user and the .spamassassin directory is there.

hmmmm, somethings screwy then.  I do not have a hidden spamassassin directory
in my home directory.  Shouldn't it be created automagically, with no
intervention on my part?

For installation, I did an "urpmi spamassassin" and it installed the program
and dependencies without any errors.  But, I can't call anything spamassassin
from the command line (#spamassassin -a) for example.  The window just sits
there, until I close it.  Mandrake CC says the daemon is running.

And, Derek wrote:

This may help you
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=15

Do I need a /home/mydirectory/.spamassassin/user_prefs directory, and can the
/user_prefs be a copy of the /local.cnf?  Why is the
/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cnf file where it is?  Can I create a
/home/myuserdirectory/.spamassassin/ manually and copy the local.cnf into
that instead of a /user_prefs?  And, since this is a Mandrake rpm for
spamassassin, why wasn't the hidden directory in my home created by the rpm?
Is this normal behavior for the Mandrake rpm, or have I screwed something up,
somehow?

Just where to put my spamassassin config files and what should be in them has
me confused.  And since the recommended call #spamassassin -a  produces
absolutely nothing on my installation I think something is messed up, but
don't know what.

e.