On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 04:35:12 -0400
Heather/Femme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> pls be more specific.  your answer is (atm) very unhelpful.
>
> rtfm/point by point step by step instructions/google Me...whatever...
>
> but your answer doesn't do me any good as it stands.  sorry... :)
>
> The Lone Stoned Rangeress Rides Again!

Sry, Femme, lemme get some links for ya ;-)  (note to self don't try and answer emails
when half asleep)

This site was the one that helped me most when I first set mine up back in windows
days as a n00b:

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Other sites of reference:

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/ (an acutal hosts file with explainations.... you can
actually copy/paste this one to etc/hosts)

They're a bit windows-centric but it still works with linux's /etc/hosts file

There are also other places to get some hosts files that people have put together.
(Google "hosts file")

Hope that helps!

Jerry

--