On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:17, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> This weekend I finally convinced friends of mine that a Linux
> installation on their computer was a good idea and installed 9.1 for
> them. (First time I'd done this as I'm still using 9.) The actual
> installation went well but connecting to the internet doesn't work as
> this particular computer has 2 modems: an internal one possibly a
> winmodem, possibly just broken, and an external Hayes V90 voicemodem
> which usually works well with Linux (I know because it used to be mine).
>
> When I tried to set up the internet connection in Mandrake Control
> Centre, there was no response from either modem but harddrake appears
> only to have detected the internal card (hp56 I think).  Would I be
> right in thinking that creating a symbolic link from /dev/ttyS0 (to
> which the external Hayes is connected) to /dev/modem would enable the
> system to find the correct modem and hopefully solve the problem?

harddrake doesn't detect my external modem but it works fine.  I think the
problem is the network setup in MCC is broken in 9.1.  Edit the files by
hand:
/etc/sysconfig/network
add the following line:
GATEWAYDEV=ppp0

if the following line exists, you can delete that line:
GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.x.x

Restart the network with:
#  service network restart

> The other problem was that Open Office Writer wouldn't start - the
> splash screen came up and the hourglass on the toolbar turned for a bit,
> but then ..... nothing. Anybody know what the command would be to start
> it from the command line so error messages can be seen , or which log
> might contain info about this?

You can start openoffice from console with:
$  /usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice

I recall having this problem at some stage (long ago) so it will pay to kill
any soffice.bin processes that may be running before trying to start
openoffice.

> Your views and any suggestions would be appreciated.  It's the first
> time I've managed to convince someone else to run a Linux box and I'd
> hate to see them turned off the idea because of these basic problems.

Agreed.  And good one!, another convert...

Sharrea
--
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today