Derek et al,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I was finally able to get this working
with the help from a good friend who is basically a Linux God.
Incidentally you can check his site our here: linode.com.

Anyhow, I edited the appropriate /etc/fstab line adding my userid for my
user account after the codepage part.  Went something like:

..codepage=850,rw,uid=500 0 0

After un-mounting /mp3s and remounting all, everything works perfectly.
I have booted to windows to test things there but it should be okay.

Thanks all, hopefully one day I can answer someone elses question..
anyone need Web development help? lol

-A