On Saturday October 18 2003 10:52 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ok, thanks. So while I downloaded the i586 distro's and installed
> them, the control center is just recognizing my machine
> architecture as i686. So I'm really running the non-optimized
> i586?

    I wouldn't call it 'non-optimized'.  Mandrake is optimized for
your i686 hardware, if when you type 'arch' in a console it returns
i686, and you see libs in /lib/i686   Those are the only files that
have shown any benefit from compiling for i686.

   There's been extensive testing done by Mandrake and others, and
the general consensus is i586 compiler options are the best for
most all hardware. Many distros are still i386. Optimizing compiler
options to the limit, rarely provides any measurable performance
benefit, but it does reduce stability quite a bit.

     The big leap was from i486 to i586. There's little from i586 to
i686. For Athlon it was a little more than Intel. Athlon's do 3
fpu's per cycle, to Intel's two/cycle. That's why a 2 GHz Athlon
competes favorably with a 3 GHz Intel P-4.  BUT, even with Athlons,
very little if anything is gained by special compiler options.