On Friday 17 Oct 2003 1:59 am, C Tresenriter wrote:
> This morning I downloaded and ran memtest86 - it was added as a boot choice
> when lilo started.
> When I came home tonight I was unable to boot into 9.1
> I got the L 99 error.
>
> Lilo was installed in the mbr and lilo.conf showed /dev/hdd1. I understand
> it should be /dev/hdd so I edited it and ran /sbin/lilo but I'm still
> getting the error.

What should be /dev/hdd ?  Do you mean the boot device?
Be precise we are not psychic

> A thread I was found ended with no resolution past this last advice.
> Another user added a Debian install that solved the problem, but no one
> offered any other ideas.
> Many threads referred to either dual booting with XP and using that disk to
> fix things, or NT and it's bootloader.
> Other threads on the topic I found weren't in english
>
> I tried 'rescue mode' and reinstalled the bootloader after running
> fdisk/mbr from the Win partition but no luck
> I thought I'd try the install routine using update - it installed lilo but
> didn't give me a choice to put in in mbr and still I got the error.
>
> Is there something I can do besides formatting "/"and reinstalling?

Almost certainly yes, but you have not given enough information.

Can you boot into any of the other Lilo entries? What about Failsafe?

What does your lilo.conf look like?

Can you mount all your partitions in rescue mode?

Where do the symlinks in /boot point to?

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net