On Sunday 19 October 2003 08:42 pm, Erylon Hines wrote:
> On Sunday 19 October 2003 08:56 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
> > Don't know if anyone else is running this, but I just upgraded to the 2.6
> > version of SpamAssassin.
> > In my opinion, the jump from 2.55 to 2.6 is worlds better and very much
> > worth doing the upgrade.  Just figured I would mention it for anyone else
> > on the list that runs SA.
>
> I've had the old version running for a week or so (thanks to you, Derek,
> and Bjorn).  It has been pretty effective, catching about 9 out of 10 spam
> messages (and it seems to be getting better as the days go on).  I don't
> have nearly enough spam that was missed to run a learn on.  Did you upgrade
> via rpm or via tarball?  How many dependencies needed satisfying?  I'm
> asking because I'm on dial up, and depends can be a significant amount of
> downloading.

I upgraded via tarball by using Checkinstall which builds an RPM from source
and then installs it.  I still have the RPM but others have reported
dependency problems when trying to use the ones that Checkinstall builds on
my system since I have installed Texstar's upgrades, so my system is not
entirely vanilla Mandrake.

Compiling was a snap on my system, I don't think that 2.6 is using anything
that 2.55 didn't also use.  I did have to patch Razor though, the new SA runs
in notaint mode so you have to patch the Razor client to get it to work
right.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer