On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:01, robin wrote:
>  Greg Meyer wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 October 2003 05:01 am, gikoreno wrote:

<stuff about not anti-aliased fonts snipped>
> >>How can I fix this?
> >>

> > By using the mdk ones. :-)
> >
> > The prblem is that the OpenOffice with Mandrake is compiled dynamically to use
> > the system freetype and font rendering subsystem, while the OO.o packages are
> > compiled with a different one statically linked at compilation time.  There
> > is no way around this without rebuilding OO.o on your machine.  Of course,
> > you could also upgrade to 9.2 which would give you OO.o 1.1.
>
> I thought 9.2 only had 1.1RC4.  Were there any important fixes between
> that and the final release?
>
> Sir Robin
1.1RC5 was renamed as 1.1.0 and released a couple of weeks ago.
According to the OOo users and discuss lists which I monitor, there were
some fairly important fixes between RC4 and RC5, including improved

I'm using OO 1.1.0 on Linux and Windows very happily and am trying hard
to get my users to adopt it.  It seems faster and more stable than 1.0,
but it is quite different from M$ Office, so there's a learning curve.
The great thing is that it is absolutely agnostic about operating
systems; docs or presentations created on Windows work just as well on
Linux and vice-versa. I hadn't noticed any problem with fonts on MDK but
then, I'm not into that stuff.

It's trivially easy to download 1.1.0 from OpenOffice.org and install it
in MDK, so it doesn't really matter what version comes with 9.2. You
just unzip it in /tmp and run ./install -net, and then run ./install as
every user.  It's a 70 MB download though.... They seem to have mirrors
almost everywhere.  If you're an academic you can get the Sun equivalent
StarOffice 7.0 for the cost of the media or as a free download.  This
has some non-GPL extras like the Adabase database.  Others pay US$75.00,
I think.

BTW, cheapbytes is already shipping MDK 9.2 on CD-R for US$6.99.  They
also have OOo 1.1.0 for the same price, for the download averse. I know
this does you no good Robin.

--
N. B. Day