On Tuesday 21 October 2003 02:02 pm, Justin Ricks wrote:
> I just recently upgraded to 9.2 from 9.1 and for the most part everything
> worked fine the one thing that doesn't seem to is playing DVD's.  I use
> mplayer as my movie play and when I try to play a DvD the screen is garbled
> and it runs slow.  But the thing is when I had 9.1 installed I was able to
> play DVD's without any problems.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this or give me any advice on the problem.
> Thanks.
>

> Your faithful linux user:
> Justin Ricks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

First thing I'd check is to see if DMA is turned on for your DVD drive. Use
hdparm for this (you are using IDE, right?):

as root/su:

hdparm /dev/hdb (or c or d - whatever your drive is)

If its turned on (1) then you'll have to look elsewhere. If its not (0), then
you can turn it on by editing /etc/sysconfig/harddisks.

cd /etc/sysconfig

cp harddisks harddiskhdx (where x is whatever your drive is)

then, edit that file, going to the line that says:

# USE_DMA=1

and removing the "#". Save it, and you should be good to go. I'm not sure if
you have to reboot for the change to be reflected though. Try it and see.

HTHs! :-)

--

                                                          /\
                                                Dark><Lord