On Tuesday 21 Oct 2003 7:22 pm, Ken Walker wrote:
> I want to set up a series of folders such as Cad1, Cad2 and Cad3 that will
> be set up as shares in samba. These will be used for three classes. And
> there's an average of 30 students per class. Access to the folders will be
> done by mapping them onto win98/2k clients.
>
> Can I just create Linux user accounts without creating home and personal
> groups. The remote users will never know about home directories or such.
>
> In User Manager that comes with LM. It gives the options, all set by
> default to create home directory, personal group and copy skeleton.
>
> I can't see any point in creating hundreds of home's when they will never
> be used !
>
> Ken :o)

If you use webmin to add your users, then you can specify add user with no
home directory.
https://localhost:10000/useradmin/edit_user.cgi

You can also configure webmin to add a samba user automatically when a linux
user is added.
https://localhost:10000/samba/edit_sync.cgi

Then in your samba shares you can restrict access to them by group.
Again webmin makes this easy to configure

(If you have not discovered webmin  yet just install the webmin rpm and
point your browser at https://localhost:10000 )

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net