On Tuesday 21 October 2003 01:36 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:

> perhaps a dumb question...
>
> can yo have devices on both the RAID connectors & the regular IDE ones?

If you mean a normal IDE device on the ide 0 and 1 channels along with a RAID
device on the RAID controller, then yes.  If you mean a normal IDE partition
along with a RAID partition on the RAID controller, then no.  Once you put a
harddrive on the RAID channel, for striping, both hard drives have to be the
same size and you must create identical striped partitions.  As far as I
know, you can't split normal IDE partitions with striped partitions on a
single channel.

I am pretty sure that you can use one RAID channel, say ide 2 as a RAID device
while the other channel, ide 3 is a normal ide channel though.  Just don't
stripe the sdc and sdd volumes and don't try to access them through the scsi
device files.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer