On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 15:53, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> At 03:31 PM 10/23/2003, Lyvim Xaphir said something remarkably like (but
> somehow subtly different from):
> >On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 14:53, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> > > I am using 9.1 right now, and I have ordered 9.2 as a boxed set from
> > > Mandrake. When it comes in, should I plan on upgrading my current
> > > installation, or doing a clean install? My main concern is keeping the
> > > software and settings I have already put in my system, but I know in
> > > Windows I always did a clean install and thought maybe that is also
> > true of
> > > Linux.
> >
> >I personally recommend doing a new install.  What I do is to first go
> >thru the home directory with Konqueror and trash what needs to be
> >trashed, crunch stuff that needs to be crunched into an archive with Rar
> >(Vincent Danen's site, rpmhelp.net) and then archive everything into
> >archive segments with Rar and burn the result to CD.  After that I only
> >restore what is needed to /home/me; that way i get the cleanest install,
> >and if I ever do need anything else, I've got the stuff archived on CD
> >(and compressed.).
> >
> >Upgrades are good for verification of the "theory" of upgrading, but
> >when I really want clean and it's my working installation I do a
> >from-scratch install and then put the old pieces in as they are needed.
>
> Thank you. I guess that means a clean install will also be my opportunity
> to get rid of the Windows partition on that machine and grab all of the
> drive space for Linux.<g>
>
> At this point I don't have too much to worry about, but my main concern is
> my Evolution setup. If I save the files in my /home/user/evolution
> directory and restore them after I do the reinstall, should that do it? Are
> there files I should *not* over-write when I restore?
>
> Thank you again.

It *is* possible to restore your Evo dir and everything work out OK,
*unless* Evo has a drastically different version and won't be able to
understand older summary information with your emails, or config stuff.
Restore your old evo dir first and check everything to make sure it's
working OK.  If it is, great.  If it isn't, "rm -rf ~/evolution/" and
then start Evo again, this time setting it up with your ISP info and
whatnot.  Then use the Import function of evo to import your emails from
your old evolution directory (which you have restored to ~/tmp or
something like that).  Import always works.

It's tougher to do Import from old evo directory because you have to
re-setup all your old filters and email server/client info.  It's a
pain, but I personally do that because I feel more confident with Evo
creating it's own configuration and summary information from scratch.

One way to avoid the import stuff is to store all your email in Maildir
format.  That way, it's easier (and faster) to get your email recognized
by Evo after you tell it where your Maildir directory is.  You still
have to set up your filters, but the email categorization stays intact.
There are other advantages but I'll stop here cause I've probably over
informed. :)

LX

--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk