On Wed, Oct 20, 1999 at 08:50:38PM -0400, Thomas J. Hamman said:

> I gave that a try and it didn't work, all my mail was tossed into
> /var/spool/mail/hawk3 instead of being filtered by my .procmailrc.  Did you
> alter any of sendmail's settings so that it would use .procmailrc without
> needing .forward?

how do you download your emails?
i use fetchmail (i see you're using XFmail and if i were you i will filtering my mails
with it).
i didn't make any changes to my sendmail except the smart_relay_host part in
sendmail.cf so i can use another smtp address (thats for sending).
procmail+sendmail without .forward file working for me since i use Redhat 5.2,
and fetchmail for mail-downloader.
did you check the .mailog?

> Hmm, I'm using Mandrake 6.1 as well with the same procmail and sendmail
> packages, and postfix is not installed, but for me sendmail seems to ignore
> .procmailrc if there's no .forward.

Sendmail wont ignore your procmail (if theres any)
check your /etc/sendmail.cf and make sure this line
Mlocal,         P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=10/30, R=20/40,
                T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u

see thats why you dont need .forward file just for using procmail :)
if you use XFmail for download your email, maybe it past through the
procmail because mail client like XFmail doesn't need MTA for sender and
receiver (CMIIW).
but if you use fetchmail (or fetchpop) and still not working, then give postfix a try
(its simple than sendmail to configure).
# ntsysv (uncheck sendmail)
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail stop
# rpm -e --nodeps sendmail
# rpm -ivh postfix.*.rpm
# /etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix start
do some test, send mail to your self (ie. [EMAIL PROTECTED])
then check your spool/mail dir, and check your procmail-log file.

--
Rib