On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 21:53, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 05:33, Cliff Skoog wrote:
> > Bingo. Thanks so much Brian,
> >
> > I think the problem with trying static before was that the
> > subnets didn't match between the machines, and I was
> > mesmerized by incredulity at the second boot dhcp issue.
>
> Hi there:
>
> I was following this thread very closely.
>
> Could you, please, post the IP you got from DHCP and the static IP that
> you have setup to solve your problem?
>
> Regards,
>
> Adolfo

Cliff will probably respond, but in case he doesn't...you can use a
number of address ranges, but the most frequently used is probably
192.168.0.x where x is between 1 and 254 with a subnet mask of
255.255.255.0

It depends a bit on what else is in your network.  For example, one of
the "standard" addresses used by routers is 10.0.0.138 (same subnet).
If you have one of these it's just as easy to use the 10.0.0.x range so
you don't have to change the router's address.

Doesn't really matter as long as the range used is consistent and the
subnets match.

The advantage of using these particular numbers is that they are in
defined ranges that do not get routed across the internet, so they'll
stay private to your LAN no matter how you manage to screw up your
router/firewall/whatever.

HTH
Brian