On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 18:32, Cliff Skoog wrote:
> Brian Parish wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 21:53, Adolfo Bello wrote:
> >

> >> Hi there:
> >>
> >>I was following this thread very closely.
> >>
> >>Could you, please, post the IP you got from DHCP and the static IP that
> >>you have setup to solve your problem?
> >>
> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Adolfo
> >>

> >Cliff will probably respond, but in case he doesn't...you can use a
> >number of address ranges, but the most frequently used is probably
> >192.168.0.x where x is between 1 and 254 with a subnet mask of
> >255.255.255.0
> >
> >It depends a bit on what else is in your network.  For example, one of
> >the "standard" addresses used by routers is 10.0.0.138 (same subnet).
> >If you have one of these it's just as easy to use the 10.0.0.x range so
> >you don't have to change the router's address.
> >
> >Doesn't really matter as long as the range used is consistent and the
> >subnets match.
> >
> >The advantage of using these particular numbers is that they are in
> >defined ranges that do not get routed across the internet, so they'll
> >stay private to your LAN no matter how you manage to screw up your
> >router/firewall/whatever.
> >
> >HTH
> >Brian
> >

> Hi Adolfo,
> Brian's got the goods here really. My machines have IPs set in the
> 169.254.xxx.xxx
> range, just because when it worked with dhcp, that had been the address
> assigned.
>
> When dchp failed it kept setting 127.255.255.255, which I think is in
> the loopback range.
>
> The subnet I now use is 255.255.0.0  which is somewhat arbitrary also,
> as I understand.
>
> Good luck
>
> Cliff

Thank you, Cliff.

I don't have any problem with my network settings. I just was intrigued
by your problem.

As I understand it, the IP range 169.254.x.x is self assigned by the
DHCP client when a DHCP server could not be contacted. It indicates an
unsuccessful DHCP request.

From
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal-10.txt

"This document describes a method by which a host may automatically
configure an interface with an IPv4 address in the 169.254/16 prefix
that is valid for Link-Local communication on that interface.  This is
especially valuable in environments where no other configuration
mechanism is available.  The IPv4 prefix 169.254/16 is registered with
the IANA for this purpose."

I would recommend changing the static assigned IP addresses from
169.254.x.x to another subnet, like 192.168.0.x with mask=255.255.255.0

Regards,

Adolfo