From: Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Weird sound problem
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:48:43 -0500

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 12:29 pm, Sebastien Plante wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a weird sound problem.
> I am running Mandrake 9.1 on a new Dell desktop. My sound card is an
> original Sound Blaster 16 PCI (that I bought separately). After installing
> Mandrake, the sound card has been detected (es1371) and the module is
> loaded (when I check with lsmod)automatically. However, no sound and the
> volumes are NOT mutted. Here is the weird stuffs. Each time I run
> draksound, and after choosing the right module, the sound is now working,
> but after a reboot, no more sound. I have to rerun draksound to have sound.
>
> What could be the problem?

If you have both onboard sound on the motherboard and the SB 16, it is
possible that Linux is activating both but deferring to using the onboard
sound as the active device and thus bypassing the SB16 until you run
draksound and select the driver and then it activates the second device.

I think that if you have multiple sound devices, you actually end up with
multiple /dev/sound/dsp? devices on your system and since /dev/dsp is
actually just a symbolic link to a dsp device in the /dev/sound directory,
you should be able to pick and choose which one you want to be the primary
device simply by changing the link in /dev to point to the right dsp device
in /dev/sound.

Can you do a ls /dev/sound and tell us what the results are?

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer

MSN Messenger with backgrounds, emoticons and more. http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/cdp_customize