On Wednesday 05 Nov 2003 4:37 pm, Ricky wrote:
> Hello all, (& thx..learned alot listening in)
> but I need some guidance here..
> Fyi I'm a 9 week old noob' but windoze user, back from dos 5/6+.
> I'm dual booting [mandrake 9.1, kernel 2.4.19-13, kde 3.1.4]
> w/win98 fer games now .. I have a creative labs Geforce Pro videocard.
> the glx driver rpm's from mandrake are installed but I couldnt get
> 'glxgears' test to work (after I broke my system for the 12+ time),
> this time i got this error trying to run quake2 thru winex3.1
> from konsole "error: could not open /dev/nvidiactl  because the
> permissions are too restrictive. Please see the FREQUENTLY ASKED
> QUESTIONS section of /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README for steps
> to correct."
> So readme says the PAM system may be changing permissions on nvidia
> /dev files. So this usually works but "it can get confused". It
> recommends changing /etc/security/console.perms and remove <dri>
> references. I did this and it works, glxgears and quake2. BUT I miss
> line 80 with another <dri> reference and forget to chmod fileperms
> & owner to root.yes I got xcited. So now it wont finish booting,
> It says hde1 is not right and wants to do fschk but fails, choice
> is to reboot or ctrl-d for root password. So I go to root console
> and try to repair the lines in console.perms thru emacs, now the
> file system is read-only, although emacs will make a backup
> (console.perms~) ??
>
> So before I reinstall from iso backups (norton ghost) pheew ..
> how should I procede ? should the mandrake rpm's be fine if I install
> nvidia driver from nvidia*.pkg2.run from the site ? or do they
> need to be uninstalled ? inorder to not repeat this again, any ideas?
> I'd like to fix it first, ghost it as the last resort, then install
> nvidia driver.
>
> Thx in advance,
> btw I ghosted /home before I wrote to newbie.. so I think the FS
> should be ok. I think ..
> (sidebar?-what is pam?)

Yuck... You have managed to get in a bit of a mess.
The issue with console.perm is trivial and easily resolved. Your real problem
is the file system on /dev/hda has managed to get corrupted somehow.
Which file system are you using? It should be a Journalling system such as
Ext3, ReiserFS or XFS. Do not use Ext2 it is far too vulnerable to getting
corrupted when newbies choose the 'Windows way out' and hit the 'Reset'
button.
BTW: If you want to know how to power down your system safely then look here
http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/MandrakeLinux/91/en/Starter.html/troubleshooting-system-freeze.html

I would suggest the easiest way out of your problem is to reformat your
partitions and either restore your Ghost image, or just do a fresh install
while preserving your /home partition so your settings are not lost.

As for the Nvidia driver all you have to do is edit this line in console.perms
<dri>=/dev/nvidia* /dev/3dfx*
and line 80 should look like
<xconsole> 0600 <dri>        0666 root

You should also check your /etc/modules.conf includes the line
alias /dev/nvidia*   nvidia

Oh and PAM is Permissions Access Module.  It works out who is allowed to do
what.
In this case it is working out who is allowed to send data directly to the
screen (Direct Rendering) The 0666 in that line above means any user logged
into an XConsole can use the Direct Rendering

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net