I would say the only real way to learn Linux is to install it
and Mandrake 6.1 install is so easy that anybody should be able to do
it :-) If you buy the boxed package, you get the manuals and the 6
reference books on CD that you can use and the manuals walk you
through the basics of installing and using Linux and so you should be
on your way. As it lets you boot up straigt into a GUI environment via
KDE, you should be more or less in familiar territory if you've used
Windows <g>

i> I'm so new I haven't even loaded Linux; I've never seen a Linux screen
i> and I don't know one command. When you pick yourself up off the floor I
i> have one question. I've decided on Mandrake based on the strength of
i> support. Where do I go to begin to learn the raw basics? My goal is to
i> have a pure Linux box.

Fahim