Thanks for this - I should have said that the BT Voyager ADSL moden is USB

et wrote:

On Saturday 08 November 2003 04:34 pm, Colin Grant wrote:

Well, I've got mandrake 9.2 disks and I'm raring to have a go. The last
time I tried was 8.2 but I found that reliance on Windows was such that
Linux was not really viable.

I have a couple of questions though that I have been unable to resolve
through the internet.
1) I'm on by broadband and use there Voyager modem. Does 9.2 support it
out of the box or can it do so?

not familiar with that modem, but if it connects with a network card and cable, it should be good to go,,, you might have to configure the firewall, if it connects via usb,,, might be a couple more steps...

2) I've got what now is a relatively ancient digital video camera - Sony
Digital 8, It has a fire wire port and works in XP. Will it work in
Mandrake?

most likely, and should be autodetected, as well as the firewire port. plug it in before you start the install.

I really hope some kind sole can help me here. I'd love to get away from
Windows, preferably far away as oppose to dual booting!!

Many thanks
Colin

ahh,,, just dual boot as long as you have the hard drive space. just don't shutdown linux. <grin> just joking,,,, but really, it does work best if you can leave it up, as it does some maintenance in the middle of the night that it will do about 10 minutes after startup (as long as anachron is installed)