On Monday 10 Nov 2003 8:51 am, Merlin Zener wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 04:28, Derek Jennings wrote:
> > [...snip]
> > Kpackage does not resolve dependencies. So if you use it you will have to
> > download and install all the dependencies. An easier way is to get
> > mplayer-gui-0.92-0.1plf.i586.rpm from PLF. ( http://plf.zarb.org/ )
> > I think you are using Mandrake 9.0 aren't you? They have a version there
> > for Mandrake 9.0.
> >
> > Now to make sure you do not get dependency problems go here
> > http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/index.php  and follow the instructions to
> > declare a urpmi source for plf  (Hint:- Many of the servers are quite
> > slow. Club-Internet is the best I have found)
> >
> > You can now just go to your Mandrake Software install gui type
> > mplayer-gui in the box and everything will install nicely.
>
> Thanks for your very helpful reply, Derek.
> Unfortunately I'm not able to tell you yet if it works or not - the
> download just failed again for the 5th time in a row. Not having a lot
> of luck staying connected for the [estimated] 55 minutes in a single
> session to download a 6.5M file.
> I don't suppose there's any way to make it resume, instead of starting
> again from scratch each time?
>
> --
> Merlin Zener

Ah yes, the joys of dial up networking :-(
You could try doing the installation from the command line.
Use the command
urpmi --wget --no-clean mplayer mplayer-gui

That will force urpmi to use wget to fetch the files. wget is capable of
resuming, so hopefully it will resume if you lose the link. If you lose the
link try reconnecting without stopping urpmi.
The --no-clean switch tells urpmi not to erase the downloaded files from the
temporary store at /var/cache/urpmi/rpms   so they will still be there if the
download is interrupted.

Another alternative is to download the files using gftp  (which resumes), put
them in a directory on their own, cd to the directory and then
urpmi *.rpm
will install all the RPMs in that directory and will pull in any required
dependencies.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net