From: anton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 10:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] My system crashes on Mandrake 9.2 ??!! Is linux
really stable ??

guys,
I have a similar problem and it is VERY annoying. I have a suspicion it
has something to do with the temperature of the cpu - at least in my
case. A friend put the thermo tape on and heatsink - he's a careless
bastard. The problem seems to happen every time when encoding video -
something that really needs cpu grunt. Try transcoding in either windoze
or linux and if you have a similar problem then it will surface. The
thing is not that linux is less stable, rather that it gets better usage
out of the cpu and works it harder.
I would be interested to know as now even with the fan on full-bore it
happens for me! Bloody annoying!
Cheers
Anton
ps I was told the cure was new thermo tape - haven't had the time to
change it but will try in the next couple of weeks...

Tony S. Sykes wrote:

>Hertas,
>
>I think this is an Asus problem as I have the same MB as you and am
>having problems with Mandrake. I have not been able to find the cause
>yet, but W2k is stable (unusually).
>
>Tony.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street