On Friday 14 November 2003 09:32 pm, gideon wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a newbie, wouldn't you like to be a newbie too?
> Anyway, I'm just staring to try out linux.  I'm actually mostly a mac user,
> but I also use Win.

Well, with that being the case, let me point out an etiquette breach that you
made that many newbies are guilty of.  You hijacked a thread, meaning that
you took a post to the list, replied to it and then cleared the subject.
Unfortunately, there is a message ID in the headers which is included in the
"In-Reply-To:" field that most mail clients use to thread messages.

If the subject of a thread drifts, it is proper, and even desired, to change
the subject to reflect what the discussion has become.  This is so mail
filtering and scoring routines can properly deal with the messages.

Many posters, apparently in an effort to save themselves the time it takes to
post a new message, simply reply to any message, delete the whole thing and
change the subject.  This is annoying, because my mail client threads by the
message ID, so in a thread about postfix mail headers, you get this (please
excuse my ascii art):

Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
 |-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
 |  |-[expert] Public downloadable 9.2 iso images
 |-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
    |-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers
       |-Re: [expert] Postfix Headers

> I have read many comments about various ways of accomplishing the multi
> boot system, which I am sure is not an unusual setup.  However I lack the
> background knowledge to make sense of it all.
>
> Can someone explain or point me to the information that VERY clearly
> explains the best way to create a new system from scratch that gives the
> option upon boot up as to which OS to startup?

Install Windows, install Linux, that's it.  Mandrake will automatically set up
your system with a menu that will let you choose which OS to boot.  You
probably haven't seen a lot of detail about how to do it because you don't
have to do anything.  Once you go beyond dual-boot to multi-boot some serious
reading of the man pages for the boot loaders is in order, but for simple
Windows/Linux dual-boot you don't have to do anything but install Windows
first.

> I am OK with wiping my drive and starting over from scratch as I was
> planning on doing this as soon as the 9.2 ISO's are available.

Have fun and come here for help.  There are lots of helpful people here that
will help you through whatever the problem is.

> Thanks a bunch.

Anytime.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx