On Sunday 16 November 2003 10:40 am, Margot wrote:

> Browsing in my local library a few months ago, trying to find any useful
> books on computing, I discovered that they stored the computer books
> next to the books on...the Loch Ness Monster! The librarian explained
> that it was because of the classification codes - apparently there are
> plenty of other codes in between Nessie and M$, but my small village
> branch library doesn't stock much non-fiction, so they ended up next to
> each other on the shelf in the science section.
>
> Margot

this is getting OT, but oh well.

i havn't checked my school's library to see what they have on linux in there.
i was working on scheduling for next semester, and found a class that's
description said access, html, and unix.  i was stoked!  then i found out
that the class was only availible for computer majors, of which i am not.
i'm currently a psych major, until i can get my major changed to Criminal
Justice and then i'll tke psych as a minor.  anyway, i set an appointment to
talk to the professor that teaches that course, figured if it's good enough,
i'd try to get "pink slipped" into it so i could learn some UNIX and get
credits for it.  he was very honest with me in that he is not a unix expert,
and only knows the basics, and that's all he teaches in that class, most of
the focus is on access.  the next class he teaches a little bit more about
unix, but not much.  so i was disappointed.  then he gave me the real
disappointment.

the university used to have a professor that was a unix "expert."
unfortunately, he retired a few years ago and the university hasn't replaced
him.  that was upsetting, as i would've loved to take a unix class as a free
elective, pick up some credits for it, AND have some good knowledge to take
home with me and be able to put it to use almost immediately.

i tried the basic linux class online, but fell behind quick, and never
completed it.  if i was able to take a class at school on linux, i'd have
more time to devote to it and get things done, plus i'd have what i need to
learn computer stuff....one-on-one help.  i can't read a text book on
computer stuff or read a webpage article and fully understand what's going
on.  i only know one person that can explain computer things to me in terms i
understand, and he has taught me all i know.  but he lives in florida and i
live in pennsylvania, and i've only seen him once in the past 2 1/2 years,
although we do keep in touch.  oh well.

downloaded 9.2 friday night and hoping to get it installed over thanksgiving
weekend.  if not then, i'll get installed over xmas break, which would
probably be better, because if i make a mistake and wipe out my system, i'll
be hurting, as i have a lot of school related stuff saved on one of my hard
drives.  it'd hurt to lose things like that 2 weeks before finals  :O

Mike