> You may not be too impressed with Linux until you have used it for a while, and
> start to realize how nice it is to be able to find a way of doing nearly
> anything you want to do with your PC, and then there is the added bonus that
> the shell won't crash on you at the drop of the proverbial hat. There is a lot
> of work involved in learning a new OS, but at least with Linux, the OS does not
> hide the hardware from you, and you will learn how the PC works while you learn
> Linux. To me, this is as it should be. I am a newbie myself, perhaps 4 to 6
> weeks with Linux, and already, I am spouting off trying to help others with
> what I have discovered.

I would also encourage you to fiddle with linux for a while.  I believe you
will like it better than windows.  The first positive point is that help is
always available,  from this list and elsewhere.  I've been pretty impressed
with the patience some of the linux guru's have shown me in getting  linux
straightened out.  So don't learn a little and then  stay there,  get out and
experiment and when you completely crash your system there will be some folks
who will straighten it out for you.  Secondly,  I think you will find that you
like  linux better than windows  once you learn to grok it a little.  I was
fiddling around in windows yesterday and found myself missing the ability to
click a button and switch to a different virtual screen to run a new program.
It is small things like that which take a while to appreciate.

Good hunting,

Rick

 --
"I don't want to swim in a roped off sea," JB