On Monday 17 November 2003 07:26 am, Anarky wrote:
> Tom Brinkman wrote:
> >On Sunday 16 November 2003 12:07 pm, Anarky wrote:
> >>    any idea if the downloadable isos can still break cdroms or
> >>if they have a fixed version?
> >
> >  Well first of all it's the LG drives, not Mandrake that needs
> >fixin. Those with LG (or rebadged drives which are actually LG's)
> >should up date their firmware ... even if they don't install Mdk
> >9.2, even if they're confirmed Windoze users. The drives should
> >not be used as is.
> >
> >   To answer your question tho, The iso's on the mirrors are the
> >same ones released to club members, the same ones that are sold.
> >They can render a buggy LG CDrom as useless. The fix is to fix
> >the LG's.   http://us.lgservice.com/   click on 'Device Drivers',
> >then 'Cdrom'.
>
> I saw the fix and everything ... but still I don't believe it's a nice
> thing to leave software that does that like that .. might make people
> (me too) think that mandrake stuff isn't all that great ... which is not
> a nice thing :)

So even though you intellectually know that it is not Mandrake'a fault, you
are still blaming them?  It's not a nice thing for hardware manufacturers to
make things that break when standards compliant software tries to access
them.
--
/g

"Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a book, inside
a dog it's too dark to read" -Groucho Marx