Hi Melissa,

On Tuesday, November 18, 2003, at 2:51:24 PM PST, you wrote:

> More stuff happens, but still no success. Here's what I'm getting
> now (starting with my typing "startx" and pressing "Enter"):

Strike that.  I've now got the KDE desktop coming up just fine.  Now,
my big problem is getting my Internet connection working.  Here's the
story of that...

I have a cable connection.  I'm currently using a Linksys external
cable modem, which is connected to my computer via USB.

I also have a dialup modem, which I only use on those very rare
occasions when the cable is down.

During my Mandrake installation, when it came to the connection wizard
(something like that), it automatically detected two items:

winmodem
lan

It suggested that since these things were already "configured", I
should just keep pressing "Next" instead of manually entering data
(IP address, etc.).  I followed the suggested route, and everything
seemed fine.

Then...when I got into KDE, and tried to use either email or the
browser, I could not connect.

I've spent the past half hour in the Mandrake Control Center trying to
figure out what's going on with my connection.  I also tried the
"Wizard" again, and while it did seem to detect my "sis900" device
under the LAN configurations, it didn't show my IP address.

My IP address is *mostly* static, but it does change now and
again...especially if my ISP has problems, and things need to be
re-set.

So...I think I'd like to start over fresh with this connection
configuration. I hope I've given enough information here.  Please tell
me if you need something more specific.

Thanks!

- --
Melissa

PGP public keys:
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]&Body=Please%20send%20keys