On Wednesday 19 November 2003 20:54, Melissa Reese wrote:

> Hi Charlie,
>
> I think my problem is *almost* fixed! ... read on...
>
> On Wednesday, November 19, 2003, at 10:02:26 AM PST, you wrote:
> > Have I mentioned that you have to change the connection to the
> > ethernet port yet? <eg>
>
> Hee hee...I have a semi-embarrassing confession (but *almost*
> understandable!)...
>
> Indeed...my Linksys cable modem *was* connected to the Ethernet
> adaptor via the proper cable.  However...here's one thing that
> confused both Mandrake and myself...
>
> This is a new computer. My old computer didn't have the Ethernet card,
> so I had to connect the modem via USB.  When we hooked up the new
> computer, while the correct connection was made to the Ethernet
> adaptor, the old USB cable was plugged into a USB port (though it was
> just hanging there...going to nowhere).  I unplugged the unhappy cable
> to nowhere, and Mandrake no longer detects this mysterious USB
> connection (and no longer tries to connect to it).
>
> Just to be safe (or at least to try anything), I unplugged my modem,
> waited a bit, then plugged it in again, and re-started the computer
> (booting into Mandrake).  During the boot up, Mandrake's network
> connection wizard detected the "new" LAN, and asked if I wanted to
> configure it.  Yes! :-)  I went through all the steps, and watched as
> it *successfully* detected my IP address, etc., then at the end, it
> said that all was successful.  However...
>
> Once in KDE, I was still not connected, and the LAN Configuration in
> Mandrake Control Center still said this (as it still does at this
> moment):
>
> Interface: eth0
> IP Address: No IP
> Protocol: dhcp
> Driver: sis900
> State: down
>
> I tried to run the configuration wizard from the Control Center, and
> again, it *said* that it was successful...but still no joy.
>
> Also, when I tried to re-start, and watch the boot process in verbose
> mode, I saw something like this (paraphrased badly, because it went by
> quickly, so I'm going on sketchy memory):
>
> Interface eth0 [Failed]
> Interface eth1 sis900 device does not seem to be present  delaying
> initialization [Failed]... and so on
>
> Then...I got an email from someone from a different list, and here's
> what he provided:

> Mandrake Linux Update Advisory
>
>  Package name:           drakxtools
>  Advisory ID:            MDKA-2003:027
>  Date:                   November 14th, 2003
>
>  Affected versions:      9.2
>  ______________________________________________________________________
>
>  Problem Description:
>
>  A number of bugs have been fixed in the drakxtools package.  Primarily,
>  problems with drakconnect were fixed.  The old behaviour of drakconnect
>  to detect network interfaces was to load all of the network modules
>  corresponding to current hardware and look for network interfaces
> [...]
I just noticed in your mail that sis900 is mentioned as eth0 as well as
eth1....that could be your problem.
Open a terminal, become su/root and type "ifconfig".
If the output only mentions "lo" there's no internet or lan configured and
you'll have to reconfigure:p
If there is more: send us the output.
As well as the output of "route" (still as su/root).

If your connection is OK eth0 (or maybe 1) should be there and so should route
define a  default gateway and the eth device it is connected to.

Good luck,
HarM

--
Registered Linux User #197998