On Sunday 23 Nov 2003 8:07 am, Void lon iXaarii wrote:
> Greg Meyer wrote:
> >So even though you intellectually know that it is not Mandrake'a fault,
> > you are still blaming them?  It's not a nice thing for hardware
> > manufacturers to make things that break when standards compliant software
> > tries to access them.
>
> okay ... this finally sounds like a good explanation ... one that I
> imagined might be the truth: so mandrake coded acording to some aprooved
> standard and LG didn't suport it? Was it something not-often used, or
> how come it worked in windows?

To get something working on Windows, you only have to ensure that everything
that Windows does is supported. This is easier and more likely to succeed
than writing to the standard, because MS doesn't always get it right.

In my view, as a software engineer, sending a CACHE_FLUSH command to a CDROM
is a bug. But if the standard allows it then it is sort-of reasonable.
Destroying the device when it receives that command however is a much larger
bug. Personally, I would do everything I could to ensure that the FLASH was
not erased until  I saw valid data coming in, even with the correct command.

--
Richard Urwin