Sunday, November 23, 2003, 11:13:00 PM, Langsley T Russell wrote:

> Hi all.

> I finally got 9.2 installed yesterday. It has so many changes it's
> almost like learning a new distro. I'm sure I'll have many questions in
> the coming weeks, but for now my question is: How do I connect to the
> Internet from my desk top. At this point my only choice is to open the
> Mandrake Control Center> select Networking> and click on the

That's odd. I downloaded Mandrake 9.2 last week. And my Mandrake
Control Centre only says "Network & Internet". I get there from the
window that pops up when the computer boots up, with the Header
*Welcome to Mandrake Linux!*. Actually, it isn't labelled here at all.
It just says "The Computer", an icon at the lower left.

I can't set it up either. I have a Toshiba modem, and a Realtek
RTL8139(X)/8130.. network interface card. From this Network & Internet
screen, I got:

Internet Access

Type: Lan

LAN Configuration
eth1      No IP      DHCP  8139    Down

I have tried all the buttons on this screen. I went through the
wizard. It says detecting devices. It never does announce what card I
have, and give me assurance that it knows what it's at. It goes on to
Configuring network device eth1 (driver 8139too).

Once I'm done, it Congratulates me. But I still can't connect
anywhere. I tried turning the computer off, and then on again.
There is a part when I power on where it mentions the network
interface name. And it paused for a long while.

Are there any tools around which can test if any parts of a connection
are working?

Say, Langsley, what method do you use for internet connection?

--
Best regards,
 Adam