On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:47:15 -0800
Eric Huff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > How do I unninstall packages that were installed from the source?
>
> If you're lucky, there's instructions, or an option in the makefile.
>
> Otherwise, you just have to delete all the files it installed.
>
> I don't know if source compilations change menu setting, etc.
>
> eric

If you use checkinstall to install from source (it's in contrib, i
believe... you'd do ./configure/make then instead of make install you'd
do checkinstall)  it creates an rpm in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS and it can be
installed and removed using rpm. otherwise you have to go a-hunting and
delete any files that it installed manually.  I've found checkinstall to
be a great tool for trying out software.  I'd recommend it to anyone
building from source.
Also to reduce hunting if I'm going about it the regular ./configure
make make install route I prefer leaving the prefix as /usr/local and
adding /usr/local/bin to my$PATH in ~/.bashrc (and /usr/local/lib/ to
ld.so.conf) so finding any bits and pieces will be easier.

Jerry.

--
_||_  Registered linux user #300600
 (o_  Registered linux machine # 185855