On Sunday 30 Nov 2003 6:40 am, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > On Saturday 29 Nov 2003 7:44 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
> > > I posed this question before and I was greatly helped by Derek. I had
> > > problems in Windows XP, and two months have passed before I solved
> > > them.
> > >
> > > I am trying to configure a wireless internet access on a desktop
>
> computer
>
> > > by means of an SMS2662W USB adaptor On Mandrake 9.2.
> > >
> > > Derek advised me to use one of two drivers: at76c593a or
>
> atmelwlandriver. I
>
> > > never tried them because I felt I had to fix problems in Windows before
> > > trying in Mandrake. I also have the drivers provided by SMC. The
> > > problem with this one is that I can simply do not see how the driver is
> > > called.
>
> The
>
> > > file to download is SMC2662WV2_Linux.tar.gz, and upon de-compression it
> > > gives the folder: SMC_USB_WIRELESS_2662W. No more references to how the
> > > driver is called. There are here 2 tools to configure the driver, I
> > > have used one and I think the driver is now ready.
> > >
> > > If I go to configuration to Internet access, I can select from a list
> > > of drivers, but the ones Derek suggested do not appear in 9.2.
> > >
> > > I apologize to you, Derek, because I suddenly disappeared, but I have
>
> had
>
> > > very little time to configure my computers. I would appreciate it if
> > > you will still help me this time.
> > >
> > > Teilhard
> >
> > As it happens the at76c593a driver is included with 9.2 and it works
> > beautifully. The only problem is that the atmelwlandriver is also
> > included and will claim your SMS2662W first.
> >  The atmelwlandriver is my opinion a right pig to configure especially
>
> since
>
> > the configuration utility is *not* included in 9.2
> >
> > I have a workaround described here
>
> http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&;
>artid=19
>

> Thanks so much, Derek. It seems that my adaptor is not recognized by the
> OS. However, when I write: iwconfig. the right parameters of the wireless
> networking appear in eth0. I just get info; I do not know how to use it as
> a configuration utility. Please tell me where I find the drivers you
> recommend and how to load them. For the driver provided by SMC, I get a
> configuration utility which I have used already. Seems the driver is
> properly configured now, but I do not even know its name.
>
> Teilhard.

When you type iwconfig and see eth0 appear that tells me that the
atmelwlandriver has been loaded.  (It uses eth0 by default) If the at76c503c
driver was loaded the device would be called wlan0

Follow the advice in my workaround and it will work.
All you have to do is move the folder
/lib/modules/2.4.22-xxmdk/kernel/3rdparty/atmelwlan

(where xx is the version of kernel you are using)
to somewhere outside  the /lib folder and the atmelwlandriver will no longer
load.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net