On Sunday 07 December 2003 07:00 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Besides, SATA will soon be deprecated by PCI
> > Express.
>
> You wait for ages for a bus, then as always 2 come along
> together <g>
>
> Anne

    Well, IMO, I don't see any suspense to it. Up till now all the
various IDE schemes since Vesa Local, including SATA, ride on the
old. tired, rode hard'n put up wet 33.3Mhz PCI/IDE bus. Using
various schemes to double, triple, even quad pump the results. Of
course this would make users believe that this 2x, 3x, even 4x
the thruput .... til reality sets in.

   Best example is AGP. Advertised as 66mhz, but it's just a
gimmick that ups graphical performance by about 7%, while
imposing additional loads on the cpu/cache/ram that have a
detrimental affect to overall system performance. In truth it's
just a 33.3mhz PCI bus subset spec.  Once that cat was out of the
bag, they went on to advertise AGP 2x, 4x, and now 8x.  An
they've got a lot of people thinkin it's an improvement. Billy
Gates type marketing IMO. Serious overclockers and production
server, mission critical types OTOH, went as far out of the way
as they could (and still do) to resist and avoid these crowd
pleasers.

   I don't know enough about PCI-X to comment on it accurately,
but as you can see from the name, it still runs on the 33.3mhz
PCI bus. Never know what just might be right around the next
corner tho .... ;)    But ....

    Then ya still got'a wait 6 mos. to a year for it to be
adequately supported in Linux.  As it stands, better HDD
performance is currently achieved with high rpms and bigger
bigger faster drive caches. Yet the PCI/IDE bus hasn't been fully
exploited yet.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas