Tuesday 09 December 2003 1:07 pm, Teilhard Knight wrote:
<HEY HarM! WHACK <g>>
> Well, Charlie, you made it this time. I have sound now. I saw I had KMix,
> and I didn't want to download aumix because I would have two devices doing
> essentially the same (and perhaps competing). I found out that KMix had the
> master volume all the way down. After correcting that, I could have sound.
> In any case, I did all you told me to do, but I was afraid of making
> changes.

That's a hell of a note! I thought the modus operandi here was to fix things
until they break then scream for help. Hmmm (-;

> Now, I have another problem. I have a DVD reader, a CD burner, and a DVD
> burner, none of which will play music. As a matter of fact, I cannot even
> see the contents of a music CD (I only have one, the last from Santana).
> But I'll make another post about this, and of course, if you help me will
> be great.

Yeah OK.

NEVER try to mount an audio or video disk. By that I mean don't click the disk
icon on the desktop, don't navigate to /mnt and try to open the device. That
won't work. Instead pick a player and click the "Open" button. Since you're
using KDE, Kmenu>Multimedia>Sound>Kscd. You'll have to adjust the settings to
your liking and that's just experimentation on your part. Start clickin'
buttons. You should be able to hear Santana if the disk is in the default cd0
(cdrom) which in your case is probably the DVD reader. Same idea for video
but try Xine or Mplayer first. If they won't open the DVD and play you may
need to go to PLF and get some codecs.

Let me know if you need help with that?

> I owe you a beer. Thanks so much.
>
> Teilhard.

<homer voice>

Mmmmmmm....BEER!
</homer voice>

It's my pleasure to help. Assuming I actually have. I'm still 'paying back'
for what the Open Source Community has given me over the years.

Let me know when it's safe to stop CC:ing you these replies please.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User #244963 at http://counter.li.org
Mandrake Linux release 9.2 (FiveStar) for i586 kernel 2.4.22-21mdk
13:09:46 up 1 day, 2:08, 1 user, load average: 0.12, 0.20, 0.18
Men say of women what pleases them; women do with men what pleases them.
                -- DeSegur