Derek Jennings wrote:

On Tuesday 09 Dec 2003 8:01 pm, Nestor Castro wrote:

I hope someone can help me with this, I'm totally newbie on Linux.

I have a LAN that connects to the internet through a Gateway
xxx.xxx.xxx.10, also in this LAN is a MS Exchange Server xxx.xxx.xxx.16
which uses this gateway, everyone connected also has access to the
internet.

I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 on my computer and assigned an address
, configured Mozilla and worked just fine, I can send and receive mail,
I can PING my gateway normally and also any other IP address in the LAN,
but when I try to PING my computer from another one it does not answer,
as a result I can`t connect to the Internet.

How do I tell LINUX to be seen by others in my LAN, I experimented on security, but could not find something helpful..

I'd appreciate any help..

Nestor

If you have the Mandrake firewall enabled (it is called shorewall) then by default your computer will not respond to pings. It can be enabled if you wish, but you do not need it it access the Internet.

More likely you have not defined the gateway address or the DNS server addresses you need to access the Internet.

From your Mandrake Control Centre>Drakconnect GUI
In the centre of the GUI you will see "gateway" it should show the IP of your xxx.xxx.xxx.10 If not then press the 'Configure Internet Access' button and define it.
As for the DNS server run the wizard at the bottom of the GUI
You will have a chance to define the gateway and DNS server address in there too.
If you do not know the DNS address used by your ISP look in your Windows computers config, or the support site of your ISP.

HTH

derek

Derek

I Checked both my IP adress of the gateway and the DNS and both are correctly defined, (just as they are on my other Windows computers, and can also PING them), I also cheked my DrakFirewall and is not enabled.

I remember Installing Mandrake 8.2 and configuring somewhere the IP Addresses that could access my computer in particular, but I don`t find where I can do that in 9.2.

Thanks for your help

Nestor