> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of H.J.Bathoorn
>
> On Wednesday 10 December 2003 23:53, Steve Wechsler wrote:
> > Just installed Mandrake 9.0. When I went through the install procedure I
> > told it to use a static IP, and it then asked me for my default gateway.
> > After the setup was completed, the default gateway didn't seem to be
> > working properly - I couldn't ping anything outside my LAN. So I did a
> > route add default gw gateway_ip, and that seemed to work, which
> means that
> > it can now access DNS. However, ping and traceroute (other services like
> > FTP work) don't seem to get returned to my machine. My windows
> machine on
> > the same network has no such problems. Also, I wonder if the default
> > gateway will be maintained once my machine is rebooted. Please help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Steve
> Add your nameserver to /etc/resolv.conf as su/root, thus:
> echo nameserver gateway_ip > /etc/resolv.conf
>
> That way everything should work. On reboot the route will be
> lost. To set that
> permanently run "drakconnect" and set it there.

Thanks for your response. I had already used drakconnect to set up the
network, and resolv.conf had been populated correctly when I experimented
with using DHCP instead of a static IP. After a reboot IP lookups and
routing are no longer working at all. resolv.conf is still correct and the
route command shows no routes except to 192.168.10.0 (the gateway is
192.168.10.1) and 127.0.0.0

Thanks,

Steve