I was about to ask the same thing.  I'm using a Dell 1100 el cheapo
with great satisfaction with mdk 9.2 and win2k in VMware.  Love it.

Lee

I'm running off of a Dell Inspiron 4150, I've had no prolems. Other than a few routine _fixable_ or known issues with most laptops... ACPI support is one. I still can't plug-in/un-plug my power nor can I close the lid, so to speak. Without Linux freezing. But apparently those two issues are completely fixable, there are a couple of mailing lists and forums, specifically, for linux on laptops... some informational websites ect ect I'm sure if you google the laptops names that you are choosing from you will find a couple of people that maintain that same type of install that you do or that you plan to do. I was lucky enough to contact someone that had the exact same laptop and is a Linux power user of sorts. He helped me greatly. This type of buddy buddy attitude can only be found by the people that know your exact situation. Kind of like "It's a Jeep thing you wouldn't understand", same idea.