On Sunday 14 Dec 2003 2:44 am, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> Sometimes we refer newbies to search the archives. Generally that's
> a great idea, what with all those recurring questions. But where
> are those archives, a "newborn" newbie might ask ?
>
> Well, the obvious thing to do is to point ones browser to the main
> Mandrake site, select "Mailing lists" and carry on. Doing that, one
> is directed to :
> http://archives.mandrakelinux.com/newbie/
> only to find out, that the latest post is about one month old, and
> no search options present.
>
> Then, googling around, our new friend may find
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-newbie&r=1&b=200312&w=2
> where there is a search option, but also some "filtering", i.e. a
> lot of posts get unnoticed.
>
> Finally, if she/he is lucky, :
> http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/maillist.html
> where things seems to be reasonably _up_to_date_.
>
> Therefore, I suggest that someone comfortable with the twiki list
> (Anne, maybe ?) wrote a short "howto" about searching the archives.
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

Thanks for that Kaj.  Unfortunately I have never found searching the
archives as intuitive as people would have us believe.  Perhaps it's
the way my mind works - OK, I'm wierd, but that's how I am.  I
wouldn't be the person to do this.  Any volunteers?  Certainly I'd be
glad to see it there.  Kaj's message gives a good starting point, I
think.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302