Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 08:18 pm, many eyes noted that John Richard Smith wrote:

<snip>

The system here with 512 MB RAM has never used swap, but I do have a 128
MB swap partition just in case.

Charlie

Heck charlie ,

I have  512 MB of RAM and mine often needs it, especially on those big
number crunching jobs like analogue to digital sound creation,  dvd to
divx creation, you need all your system has then.

John

Haven't got DVD so cannot comment on that score.

Bringing up 2 MB graphics does jump the memory meter a lot especially if I have a few programs open at the same time, but it still leaves my swap 99% free.

Yet on my other system, which has 256 MB RAM and 296 MB swap the memory jumps up real quick, but renders the graphic faster than the 512 MB RAM machine and leaves my swap 99% free. Don't know why that happens. But if I open a 7.9 MB graphic, that leaves me only 76% swap on the 256 MB RAM system. So if your working with large graphics like this, I suppose you would need more swap.

Charlie

You certainly do, not only graphics, but sound manipulation programmes as well.
Take rezound for instance when caching up analogue audio , it is actually loaded into memory first, not on the harddrive, not only that, but in it's rezound file state if adds about the same amount of data again as the original analogue converted to .wav file original. So if you have a 512 MB DDR ram stick it quickly fills that and some, and in that sort of situation you despirately need /swap space, so much so that it pays you to split the conversion in half in order to load less into memory in one go. Nevertheless rezound does a good job with the resulting converted files. But I notice quite often you get worbled sound during rezound playback, I think due to the rate in which .wav audio streem has to be retieved by rezound from /swap as well as memory. Any sound stream that must be retrieved from /swap is subject to data flow across the HD to memory and the availability of the programme that governs data flow to operate in a restricted memory situation where other programme use is "crowding out"

I have to say none of this actually affects the finished files, they work fine in each relevant programme that uses them, it's just that programmes like rezound when called upon to work with maybe 30 minutes or more of audio data needs a lot of memory and that a /swap partition is vital.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]