Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 08:48, John Richard Smith wrote:

I still cannot figure out how to get rid of the gui boot screen and return to my normal vga=791 black and white boot screen.

It must be something simple, but what?

John

I've read the rest of this thread, and there is yet another way to get rid of the boot screen, plus switch your monitor into a higher text resolution at the same time. Use

vga=ask

And rerun lilo.  The next time you boot, you hit return and you are
presented with a full list of video modes that your card will support
according to what is seen by the kernel.  The second column numbers are
hex numbers and will be accepted by lilo.  You'll see something like 30C
or 31A or other items, plus the character resolutions they produce.

Try booting into different text resolutions and decide which one you
like.  After you decide, say you like 30C, you then put

vga=0x030C

into your lilo.conf and rerun lilo.  After that you will boot into that
resolution and the splash gui screen will not be there.

LX

No, I know about vga=ask I use it on all my failsafe and nonFB boot settings , it's not the one to do the job I need.

It's something else.

Right form the very beginning of my linux experience I have always used a vga=791 screen setting and had a B/W text based full screen width boot script. It's the best, untill someone comes up with a gui alternative that looks and performs good.The gui alternative which I currently have is too sqashed up into a small white window on a blue background. I can hardly read the script before it's gone. I dislike it. If I cannot have a useful gui then I want my vga=791 (for font size /screen resolution) and the full screen width B/W text based boot script so I get to see the scrip long enough to be able to read it, if there are any problems.

I don't understand what is controlling it, it's not the vga setting that controlls the text / gui switch , except , and in as much as, if you want to lower you screen resulution it will tend to force out gui and revert to text, but that is a poor reason to want to do it.

I cannot remember what controls the switch from gui to text or back again in the higher screen resolutions, I prefer vga=791 which is one step below the highest available which if my memory serves me is vga=794. If I were to choose this level the text is so small I cannot read it and there is no advantage in having more script around on screen for longer if you cannot actually read the font size. So I choose vga=791 , always have , right back to M7.0 where I came in, the screen resolution is good and font size about as small as is practicable to get a nice smooth flow of text past your eyeball and still be able to read it.

Has every single one of us on the list forgotten how to do this properly ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]