On Monday 15 Dec 2003 3:11 pm, Void lon iXaarii wrote:
>     for a couple of versions, and with other distros tooo every time I
> install a new mandrake I then start chromium or tuxracer in a hope that
> someday the system will have 3d acceleration installed out of the box.
> In never worked ... with no nvidia cards I ever tried .. nor with an
> older ati ... but chromium worked with acceleation on a matrox g200 ...
> wow. The stuff of dreams of future. I just can't understand why a couple
> of Mb can't be spared to put a set of nvidia (& ati as it's becoming
> more spread) on the mandrake cds. I assume it's licenses .. but it's
> quite annoying for the user. And to top that the installation is still
> somethng a beginner can't really be expected to do:
> -you've got to run a shell binary from Nvidia ... which requires no X
> ... so how on earth do you do that as a beginner? I knew that I could go
> to mcc and have "reboot without x starting" and did it there .. but
> that's not quite obvious to the beginner ... and then knowing about
> "startx" -to top things I got pretty shocked when I saw that the 9.2
> download cds didn't include the kernel source .. so when you installed the
> nvidia drivers and it asked for the kernel source ... well ... I was at a
> friends house who didn't reallly have internet .. sooo ... it stunk.
>
>     well .. these are my feelings right now. Waiting and dreaming for a
> beginner friendly (and gamer friendly) Mandrake.

Actually you *can* install the Nvidia drivers while in X. And if you buy the
boxed sets or are a Mandrake Club member they are available as RPMs

As for not knowing about startx. Well it is mentioned in the manual :-)

As for why nvidia drivers are not bundled with the download edition. It is
simply because they are not GPL and MandrakeSoft **will not** include
anything on the download edition which is not fully free.

If you want to try out a Mandrake based distro which does include nvidia
drivers out of the box then check out PCLOS at
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/pclinuxos.html

It is a live CD which will boot into a very nice desktop environment including
Nvidia drivers. It is a preview edition and will not install to hard drive
perfectly, but when it is finished it looks like a very nice way to get up
and running with Mandrake with minimum learning curve.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net