On Tuesday 16 December 2003 10:34 pm, Lee wrote:
> I had Mandrake 9.2 running fine with two disks. (hda) has the root
> filesystem, (hdb) had only one directory I used for Samba. Both were ext3
> fs. I suspected problems with hdb, but WDDiag test results were ok, so I
> wiped the hdb disk with zeros anyway using the Western Digital utilities.
>
> Now I can't boot into Mandrake 9.2 with or without hdb connected. Not
> sure how to make Mandrake forget about the hdb disk. I get an error
> "Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hdb1. The superblock could
> not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem...."
>
> I know the root disk is good (hda). I had hoped Linux would boot and
> allow me to re-configure hdb. How can I accomplish this?

I am going to assume that it is reading about /dev/hdb1 from fstab, and so you
have to remove it there.

I would try to boot and do it interactively, so then when fstab is read, you
can stop it from trying to get hdb.

The other option is to boot knoppix if you have a disk around or something
that will let you get in and edit fstab to get rid of the hdb mention.

Rob

--

Linux: For the people, by the people.
Linux Counter #183693 http://counter.li.org/