On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:49 am, many eyes noted that Dick Gevers wrote:
> from running and replacing your permissions with what it feels are the
>
> >proper ones for your directories.  CAUTION:  You should have an
> >understanding of the workings of security and permissions if you disable
> >msec.
>
> I am sorry, but I don`t understand this advice. Some time ago I came from
> Windows, because my complaint was, amongst others, it`s lack of security.
> Now I am finally on a secure system (Linux) and we get an advice to turn
> off completely one of the main features of Mandrake`s security. Are you
> 100% sure that that is sound advice??

So you would like the way that permissions are changed back to make it secure?
Or what is the problem? You only want it as secure as you reckon it should
be?

Then place the partition as /mnt/??????? so that msec does not protest as
someone suggested earlier.

I have /mnt/documents [among others] as an example, that root is able to
access, but it is actually owned by Charlie. msec does not alter the
permissions, they stay as they are.

This is only half as secure as being owned by root, because if anyone knows
the password of Charlie, they can access them, and if anyone knows the
password as root, they can also access them.

How secure do you want it? Leave anything as root owned and it is more secure
than the example above. Put a cover over your monitor and the rear of your
computer both with paddlocks on them and diconnect from the Internet :-)

HTH
Charlie

--
Where we all think alike, no one thinks very much.
--Walter Lippman