On Monday 22 Dec 2003 11:10 am, Maureen wrote:
> I get a lot of static and the bells work but it won't play the intro or
> any of my games music. When I start KDE it gives an error message about
> not being able to use the sound without a lot of clicks and static and
> to run artswrapper as root or setuid root. I tried to run artswrapper as
> root, below is a copy of my shell when I did so. I ran ps to see what
> was running that would use the sound device, there isn't anything I see.
> I am using Mandrake 9.2 with onboard AC97 sound chip. It's using the
> via82cxxx_audio driver. The board discription is ?VT82C686 [Apollo Super
> AC97/Audio], and the module is ?snd-via82xx. Your help is greatly
> appreciated. TIA, Moe
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# artswrapper
>
>  >> running as realtime process now (priority 50)
>
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Device or resource busy)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# ps
> PID TTY TIME CMD
> 1049 pts/1 00:00:00 su
> 1052 pts/1 00:00:00 bash
> 1097 pts/1 00:00:00 ps
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]#

First Configure KDEControlPanel>Sound>SoundSystem>SoundI/O

and set it to use Alsa sound server.
If that does not help install the alsa-utils RPM package.
Make a copy of your /etc/modules.conf file and then run
alsaconf
Alsaconf will rewrite your /etc/modules.conf file with the correct
configuration for your sound card, but will not put in the lines which are
not to do with sound. You must put those back in by hand from your backup.

HTH

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net