On Sunday 21 December 2003 10:47 am, Dick Gevers wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 08:15:36 -0600, Tom Brinkman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> wrote about Re: [newbie] Ownership changes on its own:
> >If I were to criticse Mandrake, it would be for not installing
> >iptables by default when a lan and/or Net connection is
> >configured during the install.  I think a very simple firewall
> >rule generator like Guarddog would be a good default choice
> > too. Point'n click fairly intuitive setup for iptables, even
> > for those very new to Linux and security.
>
> I completely agree with you on that; however there`s no rpm for
> 9.2 available, so my guarddog v. 2.2.0 is compiled from
> tarball. In fact I was already considering putting it up for
> RPM voting in MandrakeClub, because I didn`t find it there yet.

   I'm pretty sure guarddog rpms have always been available.
ftp://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/unix/linux/distributions/Mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS2/guarddog-2.0.0-5mdk.i586.rpm

   Can't say for sure, cause I use cooker 10.0, an guarddog 2.2.
but as long as I can remember, it's on your CD's too.  I take
some pride in knowledge retention inspite of a long term brain
disease (MS), but iptables rules ain't one thing I've managed, so
guarddog helps me out a lot.

   FWIW, it's just a frontend for iptables. I doubt more recent
versions add any features or benefit other than to the GUI. I
just reinstalled Mdk 10.0, guarddog 2.2.0, and didn't notice any
change in the gd configuration or functions.
     guarddog-2.2.0-1mdk
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas