Tom Brinkman wrote:

On Sunday 21 December 2003 08:19 pm, Joe wrote:

Decided to try the 20031217 cooker iso. Got some pretty mixed
results. Did the upgrade from 9.2 and it had some error
relating to the rpm database.

New version of glibc, gcc, XFree.... I think the encouragement to contribute to Mandrake is to test, not use (upgrade). Either use 10.0 separately, or be adventurous. oh well, see below

I think I will be adventurous for now. Maybe I can find some bugs and try to give a little back to the community.

Yet it installed the new version of XFree and voila! Direct rendering is enabled on my videocard
for the first time under linux. Now i can play the Gl version
of quake2 but... Its slow, and checking top tells me xinetd is
using somewhere between 90 and 98% of my cpu. This happened
again after a reboot. Suggestion as to why this may be and how
to fix it?

TIA.

Joe

That's a pretty big jump. Not so much from 9.2 to 10.0 cooker. Yeah I know they're still goin out of their way to provide an 'upgrade' path. But I would'a done a fresh install savin my /home partition. The bigger jump was to the 2.6 kernel. An yeah I know Linus turned it loose, but it's still not ready for consumption. Even the Mdk version for cooker. Probly won't be for months after 10.0 final in March. (actually schedualed for 2/15). 2.4.23 will be the 10.0 kernel.

uname -r reports: 2.4.22-21mdk

So i havn't got to worry about problems related to the 2.6 kernel quite yet.

Try'n install the current cooker stable kernel, 2.4.23-0.rc5.2mdk, but IME, you'll still have a 2.6 tainted system. Either that or re-install 9.2, and/or like me follow the cooker ml's, includin the changelog list
http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/cookerdevel.php3 and the lkml
http://www.tux.org/lkml/ You might suspect, as do I, that the 2.6 utils, sysfs udev and mod-utils-init, are a problem. Hard to revert from.

No idea really why xinetd is hogging up the CPU. A workaround I have found for now is to stop it using DrakXServices. When I run it using the debug switch the suspicious part at the end of the output reads:

03/12/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:33:53: ERROR: 4816 {find_next_entry} missing service keyword [line=1]
03/12/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:33:53: DEBUG: 4816 {handle_includedir} Reading included configuration file: /etc/xinetd.d/time [line=18]

I've been usin cooker for years, but never tried to upgrade to it with the installer. Doin it 'by hand' is neccessary' IME. Sometimes cooker gets just too flakey tho, what with substantial daily updates over the course of months. A re-install sometimes is needed, and a re-sync to current cooker. I use 9.2, urpmi urpmi, then get current. Recent 2.6 experience can be attributed to last weeks re-install. Runnin cooker is not just to experience the latest an greatest, it's also to provide testing an feedback. IE, comes with some obligation.

I will have to consider doing a full install in order to get the full experience and to provide better feedback. I think i might have another hard drive around here that could become a home for cooker, leaving this one for normal use of 9.2

Anyhow, my recent experience with 2.6 kernels is that apps were very likely to go wild, refuse to quit, even cause panics.

Sounds exciting. 9.2 works so well now its getting boring.

If you choose, an I encourage you to, stick with cooker, subscribe to the ML's and add cooker urpmi sources.

I think i will.

You'll need to update daily.

I'll try that next.

I believe there's several besides myself that'll help off list to get you goin. At least I will.

Thanks for the offer. I only found out about the cooker iso from your posts about it. Sure am happy to finally play some tuxracer :-)

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

Joe.

--
     Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas