My DVD-ROM recently stopped working. Unfortunately it happened while I
was in the process of making several modifications (downloaded and
recompiled kernel source, Installed VMware 3.2.1, several program
installs, etc.) and I don't know exactly when the DVD-ROM stopped
working. I have tried switching back to the original kernel, removing
VMware and the other applications I have installed recently, turning off
supermount, etc. but it still doesn't work. I don't get any error
messages, the drive access light blinks and it simply acts like there
are no files on the disk.

I've checked some of the log files and the only thing I've seen remotely
related is the following rather unhelpful message in /var/log/messages:

kernel: cdrom: open failed.

I suppose that it is possible that I may have forgotten a module in the
kernel config or something, but my CD-RW drive seems to work fine.

Can anyone suggest what may be a problem with this, or what I may do to
further troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance.